Is this you?…
- You are a designer, boutique hotel, or brand looking to source home decor or fashion accessories ethically
- You care about quality and one-of-a-kind artisanal production techniques
- Customer Service is important to you
- Private label and design exclusivity is a must
If you answered YES to any of the above, Yabal is for you.
Based in the Guatemalan highlands, Yabal works closely with over 80 rural indigenous artisans to offer high quality artisanal product production. We coordinate custom design work between you and our team of artisans to take your designs and turn them into beautiful ethically-made products. Yabal can help you navigate production options available for your designs and will coordinate the sample-making and quality control process with our artisans, providing excellent communication and customer service along the way.
Yabal offers the following artisan products and production processes:
Back-strap loom weaving
Yabal partners with 50 women who weave using the traditional backstrap loom from two communities in the region of Solola. They offer the following:
- Embroidered brocade textiles with modern designs or modified traditional Mayan designs from Santa Catarina Ixtahuacan and Nahuala
- Rayon fabrics for shawls and scarfs
- Woven cotton textiles (maximum size on backstrap is 22in wide x 3.6 yards)
Wool Weaving on the foot loom
Yabal supports two artisan workshops in Momostenango, the center of traditional sheeps wool weaving traditions in Guatemala. They offer the following:
- Wool blankets with either natural dyes or artificial dyes
- Wool Rugs with natural or artificial dyes
- Wool Pillowcases with natural or artificial dyes
Foot Loom Weaving
Yabal supports a cooperative of women foot loom weavers in Cajola who are unique in Guatemala as foot loom weaving is traditionally a men’s weaving art. They offer:
- Rolls per meter of cotton fabrics in a variety of weaving styles (maximum width is 35in and can make up to 100 meters per roll)
Why work with Yabal?
- Bi-lingual customer service
- Email updates, product photos, skype, clear and reliable communication, timely notice regarding delays or problems, and focus on problem-solving
- Design confidentiality
- We will never reproduce your designs for other clients.
- International shipping coordination
- Assurance of high quality production
- “Translating” your ideas and designs into custom handmade Mayan production techniques with extra attention to detail
- All profits fund our organization’s social programs
- Photos of your products and information about the artisans who made them
- Fair Trade certified!
Contact us for textile catalogs and more information about custom product production and private label.